Trying to make a plan to autocross my car, any advice?
I have a 73 coupe (here) that's been a slow project for a few years. New paint, new interior parts, shoulder belts, getting the brakes and headlights working, that kind of thing.
The car came to me with a 1972 L48 under the hood with Holley DP, and headers, and a 4.11 rear end mated to the stock 4-speed. It's got stainless brake lines. Currently running 265/50-15 tires on stock wheels.
What I want to do is take this car and make it my autocross/track car (more of a focus on autocross). I currently use GTI for this but I think a Vette would be more fun and I don't like risking my daily if I go off track or something. Also it's just not getting used much so this would get her out of the garage more often.
My plan is to take it in stages:
- Switch to 17 or 18" wheels these)and 255/40/18 tires. Put on better brake pads (car does not have power brakes).
- Replace the chambered exhaust with an X-pipe setup and a pair of Magnflow/Flowmaster mufflers
- Upgrade suspension, possibly Street & Slalom kit all at once.
- Better seats with side bolsters
- Later on, a top-end rebuild to get the motor up to the ~300-HP range.
Does that sound right, taken in that order?
Read responses in forums.corvetteforum.com